The World Fantasy Awards ballot for works published in 2017 has been announced. The awards will be presented November 4, 2018 during the 2018 World Fantasy Convention (WFC) to be held at the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel in Baltimore MD.
The Lifetime Achievement Awards, presented annually to individuals who have demonstrated outstanding service to the fantasy field, will go to Charles de Lint and Elizabeth Wollheim.
The World Fantasy Awards finalists are:
Best Short Story
- “Old Souls”, Fonda Lee (Where the Stars Rise: Asian Science Fiction and Fantasy)
- “Welcome to Your Authentic Indian ExperienceTM“, Rebecca Roanhorse (Apex 8/17)
- “The Birding: A Fairy Tale”, Natalia Theodoridou (Strange Horizons 12/18/17)
- “Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand”, Fran Wilde (Uncanny 9-10/17)
- “Carnival Nine”, Caroline M. Yoachim (Beneath Ceaseless Skies 5/11/17)
- The New Voices of Fantasy, Peter S. Beagle & Jacob Weisman, eds. (Tachyon)
- Black Feathers, Ellen Datlow, ed. (Pegasus)
- The Book of Swords, Gardner Dozois, ed. (Bantam; HarperCollins UK)
- The Djinn Falls in Love and Other Stories, Mahvesh Murad & Jared Shurin, eds. (Solaris US; Solaris UK)
- The Best of Subterranean, William Schafer, ed. (Subterranean)
- Gregory Manchess
- Victo Ngai
- Omar Rayyan
- Rima Staines
- Fiona Staples
Special Award, Professional
- Harry Brockway, Patrick McGrath, and Danel Olson, for Writing Madness (Centipede)
- C.C. Finlay, for F&SF editing
- Irene Gallo, for art direction at Tor Books and Tor.com
- Greg Ketter, for DreamHaven Books
- Leslie Klinger, for The New Annotated Frankenstein (Liveright)
Special Award, Non-Professional
- Scott H. Andrews, for Beneath Ceaseless Skies
- Justina Ireland & Troy L. Wiggins, for FIYAH
- Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali & Jen R Albert, for PodCastle
- Ray B. Russell & Rosalie Parker, for Tartarus
- Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas, for Uncanny
This year’s judges are David Anthony Durham, Christopher Golden, Juliet E. McKenna, Charles Vess, and Kaaron Warren. For more information, see the WFC website.
While you are here, please take a moment to support Locus with a one-time or recurring donation. We rely on reader donations to keep the magazine and site going, and would like to keep the site paywall free, but WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT to continue quality coverage of the science fiction and fantasy field.